This minimally-invasive procedure treats spine fractures caused by osteoporosis. It is designed to provide rapid back pain relief and help straighten the spine.
- Through a small incision in the spine, fluoroscopic guidance is used to help place a narrow tube into the fractured area of the vertebrae.
- A special balloon is then inserted into the vertebrae and inflated in order to lift the fracture and return compressed pieced into the correct location.
- After the balloon is removed, a cement-like material is injected into the space and allowed to harden in order to stabilized the previously compressed pieces and prevent future compression.
- For some patients, pain relief can be immediate as previously compressed bone fragments are returned to their original settings.
- For other patients, they can expect to feel relief within two days of the procedure and can return to normal daily activities after a six-week recovery period.
- Conditions will vary from patient to patient and thus proper monitoring after the procedure is crucial to a successful procedure and a speedy recovery.
Contact Atlanta’s Premier Treatment Provider
Summit Spine & Joint Centers specializes in relieving chronic pain so that you can do what you love. Call us today at (770) 250-4020 or contact us online to schedule your appointment at one of our 12 Atlanta locations.